Goals and clientele targeted
This service is designed for artists and self-employed workers in the cultural sector who wish to reorient their professional career, or to make a transition either to a related occupation within their sector of activity or to something entirely different. The service comprises a global approach where the organization takes charge of the participant.
The individualized approach is favoured during all interventions with the participant in order to best respond to each person’s specific needs.
- Welcome and selection interview;
- Introduction to the organization “Cible Retour à l’Emploi”
According to their needs, participants registered in this service may benefit from different activities. Please select from the menu on the left.
Competency Assessment Inventory:
By “Competency Assessment Inventory”, we mean the delivery of services specific to vocational counselling with the goal of leading the client to develop a better understanding of his/her potential in the workplace. The intervention may be comprised of some or all of the following elements:
- Evaluation of specific skills (know-how) in relationship to the requirements of the client’s occupation or related occupations;
- Drafting of an assessment of acquired and transferable skills;
- Identification of trades or occupations in which the client could possibly transfer his/her skills as established by the assessment;
- Evaluation of obstacles to insertion or maintaining employment while considering the internal factors (motivation, soft skills, physical or psychological handicap, interest for the occupation, etc.) and external factors (working conditions, limited employment perspectives, etc.)
- Evaluation of the need for training and upgrading of skills if necessary; assistance to the client in decision making and in preparing an action plan concerning insertion, remaining in his/her occupation, or career renewal in another field of activity.
By “Vocational Counselling”, we mean the delivery of a service with a goal of leading the client to determine a realistic and attainable professional objective. At the end of the approach, the client will be equipped to specify a professional objective formulated in terms of the type of job selected, directly attainable through job search or via a process to improve employability. The client should possess the information on the means that will allow him/her to achieve the objective, and on possible alternative solutions.
The evaluation report (Abilities and Vocational Counselling Assessment) is written in language easily understood by the client. The report will include at least two alternative solutions.
The report will contain the following information:
- Motive, objective, steps and evaluation process tools;
- Appointment dates and general behaviour of the client during the meetings;
- Determining factors such as: interests, aptitudes, acquired skills, experience, transferable abilities, motivation, values, personality traits, personal context, resources and limitations of the client;
- Summary of test results, if taken
- Main occupational choice and possible options retained by the client;
- Opinion of the specialist concerning the pertinence and realism of the occupational choice in regards to the profile of the person, the characteristics of the occupation being considered and the particularities of the labour market;
- Diagnosis of the obstacles and needs of the client related to their integration into employment;
- Actions and strategies suggested to help the client carry out their occupational choice or allowing him/her to pursue their path with the help of other specialized resources;
- Action plan for the client in relation to the attainment of one of their occupational choices.
The Vocational Counsellor is responsible for explaining the elements found in the report to the client. These explanations will be given at the final meeting with the client. The organization may, upon request by the client, supply a copy of the specialist’s report.
Individualized Job Search Approach
- Exploration of the labour market (in relationship to the participant’s profile)
- Information related to work habits:
- time management;
- stress management;
- relations with authority;
- team work versus solitary work;
- work/life balance.
- Information on work search tools:
- use of tools in the Documentation Centre;
- the hidden market;
- cold calls;
- various research tools (directories, specialized catalogues, Internet, etc.);
- resumé (curriculum vitae) and presentation letter;
- presentation card;
- registration of the participant with Online Placement on the Emploi-Québec website.
- Validation of the occupational choice;
- Determination of a work objective;
- Action plan (development, utilization and follow-up);
- Drafting of the resumé and cover letter;
- Drafting of the presentation card; Interview simulation(s).
- Preparation for interview simulation(s);
- Updating of information on the labour market;
- Information retrieval to refine the resumé;
- letters and presentation card;
- Interpretation of psychometric tests Drafting of reports.
Follow-up and support of the participant throughout the process.
The orientation services are provided by Vocational Counsellors who are members in good standing of the “Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d’orientation.”